Plugin for WordPress users
To make the website appear more attractive use Yoast SEO, it can be done by following the steps shown below:
- Got to the backend of your website -> from the menu bar click on Plugins -> Add New -> search for ‘Yoast’ and install ‘Yoast SEO’ (check for compatibility and latest update) -> then click on Activate
- Scroll the left menu bar and click on SEO which displays General – Yoast SEO dashboard
- To configure the website, and for the first time SEO configuration, click on configuration wizard and answer few questions and click Next after each question.
Q1 – Environment: Do you want your website to be found by Google or not?
Q2 – Site Type: What does your website represent?
Q3 – Organization or Person: Does the site represent a person or organization?
Fill up the rest of the form such as uploading the Image and entering Social Media URLs
(Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Wikipedia, etc.)
Q4 – Search Engine visibility: Select the required pages that need to be indexed
Q5 – Multiple authors: Select the given option.
Q6 – Title settings: Enter the Website name and choose a Title Separator from the given
options that you would like to see on the search results.
Q7 – Newsletter: If you want to sign up for Yoast SEO newsletter, then enter your email ID
Q8 – You might like: This page displays various Yoast SEO videos.
Final step -> Success: Displays a short Yoast SEO video.
- From the top menu bar click on “Features”
This page allows you to enable and disable Yoast SEO features and for more information click the ‘?’ on top of every title, and click save
- From the top menu bar click on “Webmaster Tools”
You ought to link the website with Google Webmaster tools. Follow the steps to link website. Open a new browser
- Create a Gmail account or use an existing Gmail account
- Search Google Webmasters tool on Google
- In Google Webmasters page -> click search console -> Start Now -> Choose a Gmail account
- You will enter into Google search console page, click on URL Prefix and enter the complete website URL (e.g.: https://websitename.com) -> click on Continue
- Verify Ownership: Click on any option from the verification methods
E.g.: If using HTML Tag, copy the given metatag
- Go back to Yoast SEO page (website) and paste the metatag under ‘Google verification Code’ and click on Save Changes.
- Go back to Google search console page and click on Verify -> It displays a message box ‘Ownership is Verified’, then click on Done or Go to Property.
If you click on Go to Property
- To verify Bing Verification code – click on Bing webmaster tool -> sign up with Facebook -> Continue -> Enter website name and click ADD and save. Copy the tag and paste it under Bing Verification Code and click Save Changes.
- To Verify Yandex Verification Code – click on Yandex webmaster tool -> sign up using Facebook account -> continue -> if you are new use lick on new user -> enter the site URL -> copy the given Metatag website analysis and paste it under Bing Verification code on the website page. Click on Save Changes.
- From the left menu bar click on Search Appearance under SEO - Yoast will create Google snippets for your website
- Go to Content type on the top menu
Enable or disable the given features, and make changes for SEO title and Meta description
To insert Excerpt from the blog post, follow the steps
- Go to need help
- Select Snippet Variable from the menu bar
- Select the code
- Paste it under Meta Description
- Paste any required snippet code available under Snippet variable to make the SEO title and Meta description attractive.
- Complete the rest of the form
- Save changes
These changes will appear on Google search results. Always insert keywords to the left, because Google give more importance to the keywords that are placed in the left most part of the title.
Google will show the updated website within 7 days after making requires changes. If the website is new it takes less number of days as compared to older websites.
- Click on Media from the top menu
Choose the option and save changes
- Click on Taxonomies from the top menu
To shows the description of categories of blogposts if required
Choose the option and save changes
- Click on Archives from the top menu
Disable it and save changes
- Click on Breadcrumbs from the top menu
Disable it because it is not popular these days and save changes
- Click on RSS from the top menu
Leave the details as it is.
- From the left menu bar click on Search Console under SEO
- You need to again authorise Google, so click on ‘Get Google Authorisation Code’,
sign in with the same Gmail account used for Google Search console and click on ‘Allow’, copy the code that is displayed in the page and paste it in the text field under Authorisation Code, then click Authenticate. Then choose your website under Profile and click Save Profile.
- Now if there are any errors on the website it will be displayed on the Desktop, Smartphone, Feature phone options under Search Console – Yoast SEO
- From the left menu bar click on Social under SEO
Accounts: Enter all the social media links and save changes
Facebook: To get images from website using Facebook app ID –> go to Google –> type developer.facebook.com -> go to My Apps -> Add New APP -> a form appears where you are required to enter Website name and website analysis Email ID -> Click on create an App ID and Submit.
Facebook for developers page is displayed with a APP ID on top -> Copy the App ID and paste it in the website page in Facebook App ID field.
Add an image URL if required.
Follow the same steps for Twitter and Pinterest
- From the left menu bar click on Tools under SEO
It allows you to change the import and export settings, file editor and bulk editor
Bulk editor: table displays all the blogpost -> select edit and make necessary changes
To optimise for Google -> Go to Google.com
Go to your website and edit post.
- Editing can be done by scrolling the page below and edit snippets.
- Edit the Meta description if required
- Green represents perfect text length
- Enter Focus key phrase
- Click on the required field and check for the suggestions
o Orange - need improvements
o Green - Good results
o Red – Problems
- Go to ‘Post’ on the left menu and check the readability and optimisation and make necessary changes.
- Check the results in Yoast SEO which displays notifications and problems
- Yoast also creates a sitemap -> go to Google -> enter ‘websitename.com/sitemap.xml which helps Google to crawl easily on the website.
- Go to Google Webmaster tools – google search console -> click sitemap and enter Sitemap.xml -> Submit -> a message is displayed ‘Sitemap submitted successfully’ click on Got It.
- Google search console -> click Sitemap and enter Sitemap_index.xml -> Submit -> a message is displayed ‘Sitemap submitted successfully’ click on Got It.
- Click on Performance to check the optimisation of website.
- All results will be updated on Google in a week or less.